I've read several places where they say you ahould never drink alcohol when you eat morels but they dont say why. I had never heard this before. Does anybody know? I love a cold beer with a big plate of fried morels!
That is a common morel myth.
Consuming alcohol with morels is no more dangerous than consuming alcohol without morels.
I've never had a problem with it, and no one I know has ever had a problem with it.
I have not seen any scientific evidence to support that myth.
Contact Michael Beug...the leading mushroom toxicologist in North America.
His data indicates that Morels have a fairly high rate of reaction among healthy adults (16%) and
this effect was exacerbated when the morels were black morels and consumed with alcohol.
James Groves also published about this topic in Mycologia.
J. Walton Groves. Poisoning by Morels When Taken with Alcohol. Mycologia, Vol. 56, No. 5 (Sep. - Oct., 1964), pp. 779-780
The effects from morel toxicity when paired with alcohol arent life threatening in most cases, vomiting and diahrea...but it is a very real phenomena.
For the record I generally consume morels with beer or wine myself and experience no side effects.